"And maybe that’s the bravest thing you can do. Let go of the concept of doing something right and remember that there are no mistakes, only discoveries." ~Mati Rose
Create a piece of art about making discoveries. Are you too caught up in mistakes you might make? How can you overcome fears of mistakes? What discoveries have changed your life? How do you live with an attitude of daily discovery?
I always tell people that I am hard on myself in every area of my life, EXCEPT for art. If this isn't fun, why do it? I love to make bad art because that means I am making discoveries. I might discover what works well together, or what doesn't. I might discover a new color combination. No matter what, it's not wasted time. It's the discoveries that matter. It's the spilling that matters. If you end up with good art (and you will, eventually), that's just a bonus.
This is a page in my large Media Journal. It's super simple--lay down a tag, mask around it three times. Fill in the voids with text and stamping. Add a focal point image. Done!!
Dina Wakley Media Supplies:
- Large Media Journal
- Acrylic: Olive, Peacock, Black, Cheddar
- Stamp: Interesting Faces
- Washi Tape
- Ultra Thick Gel Medium
- Black Fudeball pen
- Cotton Rag Watercolor loose sheet (for stamping)
- Scribble Sticks, set 2 (Cheddar and Fuchsia)
- Paint brushes
- White gesso
- Idea-ology by Tim Holtz Foam Alphabet
- Ranger Mini Blending Tool and foam (for applying Black paint to the foam alpha and the woman stamp)
Challenge Rules Recap
I want to put the “me” back in mixed media. All art is personal, whether it be a card or an art journal page or a painting. Join me as we begin a series of monthly challenges and prompts that will fuel your creative spirit and help you delve into the ME of MEdia.
- We will announce monthly challenges on the Ranger blog on the third Thursday of each month.
- Use at least one Dina Wakley Media product in your project. If your product is not obvious (like paint), please list the colors you used.
- You can make anything you like—a card, an art journal page, a tag, a canvas, anything!
- Interpret each challenge any way you like. You can be literal or you can use it as a springboard and see where it takes you. Let the challenge inspire you and stretch you.
- Try to journal on your piece. Write your thoughts about each prompt. You can write a little or you can write a lot, but do your best to incorporate your thoughts and feelings into the piece.
- When you complete a challenge, please share it on your blog and personal social media account(s) (Instagram/Facebook) with the tags #showusyourMEdia and #rangerink. When you share on your personal FB page, be sure to make the post public so that it shows up in our hashtag search. You can share in the art groups, too, but those posts don't show up in the searches if the groups are closed or private.
- We will do two random drawings each month for a prize. We will search the hashtag #showusyourMEdia on Instagram for one winner, and then on Facebook for the second winner. To be clear, you must use the hashtag #showusyourMEdia on either Instagram or Facebook in order to show up in the search and to be eligible to win. You have until the third Wednesday of each month to complete the previous month’s challenge.
- We will announce the previous month’s winner AND the new challenge on the third Thursday of each month.
Note this challenge does not take the place of the monthly challenges we have in the Dina Wakley Media Tribe Facebook group. If you're not a member of the tribe, please join us! Artists in the group post lots of cool art and inspiration.