You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. ~Jack London
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. ~Pablo Picasso
- Don't gesso it, unless you use clear gesso. Why cover up that great color?
- The burlap is absorbent so it will require more paint.
- The burlap's texture sort of inhibits fine details...keep in abstract and loose and it will be easier.
- Paint does go through the weave to the back, so put a piece of deli or wax paper behind to protect the page underneath. Or, be a rebel and let it go through and have an instant background for that page. Ha. The back of the burlap painting doesn't look awesome, so I think I'll just put some collage over it and then it will look great.
After I made these journal pages, I was inspired to make some larger abstract floral paintings. I did these on 300 lb watercolor paper, gesso'd first. The size is about 11"x15" (I take one large 300 lbs sheet, and tear it into quarters, and that is the size that it ends up). Can you see how I took what I created in my journal and used it as a springboard for the paintings?
Challenge Rules Recap
I want to put the “me” back in mixed media. All art is personal, whether it be a card or an art journal page or a painting. Join me as we begin a series of monthly challenges and prompts that will fuel your creative spirit and help you delve into the ME of MEdia.
- We will announce monthly challenges on the Ranger blog on the third Thursday of each month.
- Use at least one Dina Wakley Media product in your project. If your product is not obvious (like paint), please list the colors you used.
- You can make anything you like—a card, an art journal page, a tag, a canvas, anything!
- Interpret each challenge any way you like. You can be literal or you can use it as a springboard and see where it takes you. Let the challenge inspire you and stretch you.
- Try to journal on your piece. Write your thoughts about each prompt. You can write a little or you can write a lot, but do your best to incorporate your thoughts and feelings into the piece.
- When you complete a challenge, please share it on your blog and social media (Instagram/Facebook) with the tags #showusyourMEdia and #rangerink.
- We will do two random drawings each month for a prize. We will search the hashtag #showusyourMEdia on Instagram for one winner, and then on Facebook for the second winner. To be clear, you must use the hashtag #showusyourMEdia on either Instagram or Facebook in order to show up in the search and to be eligible to win. You have until the third Wednesday of each month to complete the previous month’s challenge.
- We will announce the previous month’s winner AND the new challenge on the third Thursday of each month.
Note this challenge does not take the place of the monthly challenges we have in the Dina Wakley Media Tribe Facebook group. If you're not a member of the tribe, please join us! Artists in the group post lots of cool art and inspiration.